I grabbed a bottle of breast milk for Caiden out of the fridge, as I do every morning (actually multiple times throughout the day, the kid drinks like 24-28 oz's a day). Then I proceeded to start the faucet running on hot, as I do every morning, and throughout the day...on cold days it can several minutes to heat up, on warm days not so much. I twisted the cap off the bottle and reached for the Baby Vitamin D, as I do every morning. According to the pediatricians, during the winter and at this altitude babies don't get enough vitamin D. So we gotta supplement. I squeezed 2 drops out of the dropper into the milk. I stopped to look at milk in the bottle, noticing that it wasn't all that fluid, but very thick gelatin-like. And the Vitamin D just sat on the top. Cream. Very thick cream.
I have never thought about cream much, other than it's dairy and I'm allergic to it. But for the first time I think it actually dawned on me what the purpose of cream really is: to fatten babies up. Regardless of human or animal, the point of cream is to fatten up the babies. My next thought was, "Well, that explains why Caiden is getting chunkier."
I screwed the lid back on the bottle and set the bottle in the waiting bowl of hot water, continuing my thought processes. If the whole purpose of cream is to fatten up the consumer of it, then why in the world do people wonder if they're getting fat? Hello! That's the point of cream!! We have butter, cheese, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, ice cream, half n half, cream cheese, etc... In the average house hold, think of how much cream is consumed in the average week.
Not to mention that dairy cream, the original purpose of which is to fatten up a baby calf into maturity, is the type of cream people consume on a regular basis. By the time most calves are weaned from their mothers they weigh at least 400/500 pounds. I would say that there is a definite weight ratio difference between bovines and humans, so wouldn't you think the human consumption of bovine cream would be ratio-ed accordingly?
Or maybe not. But that's how my thoughts on cream went.
Oh, and for the record, I'm not advocating that we shouldn't consume dairy cream; I'm just contemplating some of the ironies of our society.
No comments:
Post a Comment