This picture pretty much describes their relationship from day 1.
For those who don't know, my sister has downs, and she has sensitive ears. At best she tolerates babies. At the worst she runs from the room crying...though she has not yet done this with Caiden. Point being, she is wary of ALL small children.
At the hospital, not yet 24 hours after he was born, she asked where I got him from. I told her from my tummy. She had a very blank expression on her face after that one. Babies come from tummies?
When I went home for Easter, Caiden and I had no sooner entered the kitchen when she came up to me and said, "excuse me, Cherry" and rushed right on past me to exit the room.
Every time we suggest she hold him, she gives a very emphatic, "no!"
This past weekend she and Mom came up to babysit him so Lance and I could go on a birthday date. I think she's quite perplexed how people get so excited to be with a little, noisy, loud mouth. So she attempted to relate to him...much like how someone would relate to a dog. The first time he was in his carseat and of her own initiative she brought him a toy to play with. From a couple feet away she dangled it in front of him. Someone told her she needed to get closer so he could play, so she stepped a foot closer and flung it into his carseat and then jumped back as if he might bite her. The second time I was holding him, and she was rapidly dangling a little rubber bracelet back and forth in front of his face. I told her she needed to slow it down so he could actually see what she was dangling. At least she's making an effort!!!
I think she does like the concept of being Aunt Wendy, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment